Feb 27, 2010

FIRE!!

As a child one of my biggest fears (other than being jumped on my a dog and my mother dying in a car crash) was dying in a house fire. It's not something that scares me so much anymore since I learned that it's the smoke inhalation that kills you most of the time which happens a lot faster than actually burning to death.
Luckily I was never involved in a fire but one of the houses I grew up in burned down a few years ago and even hearing about that felt so creepy! There's something about combustion which is so very very intense.... like it had to have been brewing for a long time, the biggest build up of energy.. until it just can't contain itself anymore. Sometimes when i get overly excited about things i feel like I might spontaneously combust! I though for a while that would be a good way to go... not so much any more, i have a feeling i'm more likely to be electrocuted or something.
I just moved into a new flat in January and fire has been on my mind since. One of the things I really wanted for the new place was an open fire, I have always thought that an open fire is one of the most important parts of what makes a place a home - an open fire and a bath. It's not easy sometimes to find a place with a fire since apparently an open fire is considered a 'fire-hazard' in rented properties and landlords are encouraged to cover them up (how mental is that!?). This place has a fire in it.... but it has been boarded up to prevent a draft. For the first few days we lived here I was thinking over and over
"I WANT A FIRE IN THE HOUSE!"
To my shock one evening a towel in the kitchen caught fire as Marc and I were spacing out watching telly. The flames blazed silently on until I noticed something quivering out of the corner of my eye. I jumped up and ran in to try and put it out and I ended up just standing there... staring at it! It was really weird. It was my first experience with fire that was not in a completely controlled environment and I totally learned who was in control.. THE FIRE!!!!!!
I haven't really pushed the fire in the house thing since then...






No comments:

Post a Comment